Saturday, July 6, 2013

Competent Communication


My paternal Grandmother demonstrated competent communication within the framework of our extended family. In the midst of everything that went on amongst my four siblings, cousins, granddaddy, uncle, my parents and me; Grandmother communicated through a variety of ways of outside of verbal. Behaviors she exhibited that made her effective were her calm soft spoken voice, and loving direct demeanor that left no doubt of the message being conveyed. Her communication was representative of something and the majority of the time I was able to receive and interpret what was meant whether verbal or non-verbal communication was taking place. For example, by reading the message from her eyes when she gave certain looks or a hand gesture, I knew precisely what it meant and in return she knew what I meant through my responses. My grandmother seemed to be in sync with me when she communicated and I would like to model that behavior through my personal and professional communication. In my opinion, she matched the definition of the “competent communication model” which takes in account those sending and receiving the messages, the nature of communication and role of communicators and context in which they operate (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012).

 

3 comments:

  1. Audrey,

    I loved reading about your grandmother and how she has demonstrated being a competent communicator! She seems as though she has passed along great communication skills to you and your family! Thanks for sharing!

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey,
    I really enjoyed reading about your grandmother and the connection that you shared through your communication with her. I agree with you in that non-verbal communication can be conveyed and the meaning still come across clearly. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By reading your post. I can tell she's an competent communicator. She seems like she is the peace among the family. I know that once she talk she had everyone undivided attention. It takes a competent communicator to be the head in the family because sometime families can agree to disagree/misunderstandings arise and it only takes that one person to straighten things out.

    ReplyDelete