Saturday, July 27, 2013

Who am I as a Communicator?

There were small differences in score of myself and score of adult daughter and coworker. My verbal aggressiveness score was 61 and that placed me at the moderate level that contends that I maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others’ viewpoints, and the ability to argue fairly by attacking the facts of a position rather than the person holding that position. I feel this is an accurate description of me. The other scores in this area were 53 and 57. My listening profile group was one and listening style is people-oriented.
  Insights about communication gain this week were the amount of uneasiness and anxiety that I have for public speaking situations with a mild level score that also stated that communication does not seem to be something that I worry about. I’m not sure if that is a good position to be in or not. Although I do it, I get very nervous at the prospect of speaking in front of a large group of people and avoid it whenever possible. There was nothing in this assessment results that really surprised me and I see a need to look at my perception, self-concept and self-efficacy (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012).

5 comments:

  1. Audrey,

    I too had different scores from my two people, which was comforting to me, because even though we scored differently we are still close. I can say all three were close to who I am and how I view myself. I too had group 1 in my listening evaluation. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey,

    I can relate to your fear of public speaking! In fact, I rated myself the highest on the Communication Anxiety Inventory, placing me in the elevated category. However, my husband and close friend rated me in the moderate and mild categories for this assessment. This could be because I thought of professional situations when I gave my answers, and my husband and friend could have been thinking of situations with friends and family, where I am more relaxed. However, like you, I tend to avoid speaking in front of groups of people whenever possible. It is something I definitely need to work on so that I can become more confident in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey,

    Thank you for sharing your perception of yourself as a communicator as well as the perception of those who evaluated you as a communicator. I have similar results were the assessments of those who evaluated me yielded identical results to that of my own perception. I found this most interesting!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that we are all normal to be somewhat nervous about public speaking. Interviews have shown that even celebrities who perform a million times still get nervous in front of people. I personally think it would be scary for someone to have no nerves at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also in the people oriented group. I think for the field that we work in, you have to be a "people person". As for public speaking, I try to avoid it at all cost. I try to encourage my children to participate in our church service on youth Sundays so that they will get used to speaking in front of a large group. I guess I feel like if they conquer the fear at an early age, they will be comfortable with public speaking by the time they reach adulthood.

    ReplyDelete