Saturday, July 13, 2013

Nonverbal Communication


The title of the show chosen was “Martin” and watching it with the sound off forced me to focus solely on the body movements and facial expressions of the characters. Based on the body language that consisted of eye contact and movements, facial expressions, smile, hugs, and touches I believe that the man and woman was a couple. They seemed to display feelings of affection and intimacy with each other by the way they hugged, leaned in close and glanced at each other across the room. The man and woman sat on the sofa next to each other, and the man put his arms around the woman’s shoulder and she laid her head on his chest and watched television. Throughout the show the same two men used key came into the house, got food, watched television, etc. I assumed they were relatives that lived there. The woman in the room walked to the door and opened it, threw both hands up and rolled her eyes at the man who was standing at the door. Based on her facial expression and hand gestures, I assumed that she was not happy to see the man.  
With the sound on the assumptions about the characters’ communication was fairly accurate. The man and woman was a couple and with the sound on they talked about daily events of their lives, work, dinner, etc. and how they loved each other. My assumption concerning the two men was incorrect because they were not relatives nor did they live there. I gained no insight of the plot by watching nonverbal behaviors.
My assumptions likely would have been more correct if I had watched the show because the plot and character would be familiar and I would have certain knowledge and expectations.
Insight gained from this experience is that nonverbal communication is convincing and tells a lot about what people are really saying through their verbal communication. I am realizing how influential nonverbal communication is as reinforcement to verbal communication (O’Hair & Wiemann, 2012), which would be beneficial to understanding as I engage in forms of communication with my colleagues.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey,

    I enjoyed your post. It is amazing the assumptions that are made by just watching people. This exercise help show how important it becomes to use all of the strategies in order to communicate. We need to use verbal, non-verbal, and listening skills appropriately. It also made me realize how I may be perceived by just my actions. As an educator, I want to make a positive impression.

    Thank you for sharing your insights!

    Cindy Rube

    ReplyDelete
  2. This exercise made me think about what TV would be like without body language or expressions, only lines and words. How boring. Of course, they are actors, so that is what they do and they have rehearsals to get it just right. In life, we don't get opportunities to rehearse our body language and expressions. All the more reason for us to be very aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Audrey,
    I can remember watching Martin when it used to come on. It was funny watching it with the sound but it must have been cool to watch it without the sound! Just from some of the episodes I remember, Martin and Gina were always very affectionate with each other. There body language showed how much they cared about each other. That was a cool show to share. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey,
    This was a very good practice to bring awareness of nonverbal cues. It also made me focus solely on body movement and facial expressions. I intentionally concentrated which is more than I normally do to catch the jest of what is happening in a movie or television program.
    Drue

    ReplyDelete