Saturday, September 8, 2012

Birth Experience


Witnessing the birth of my 3 grandchildren allowed a very different experience. Their birthing room was arranged in a cozy homelike setting. There was a sofa and rocking chair in the room and nice paintings on the wall. Everything happened in the same room.  After the births, the babies stayed with their mothers in the room. It was an overwhelming to see my daughters and babies having the opportunity to bond and form those needed attachment immediately.

 Each time was a reminder of my birthing experiences during the 70’s of being moved to a cold labor and delivery room to give birth.  I held them shortly and they were shipped off to a nursery and care for by the nurse until feedings.  After experiencing my grandchildren’s births, I felt robbed of precious bonding time with my babies.  Over time studies conducted showed the importance of forming early nurturing relationships and child birthing procedures changed.

I believe mothers who spend time with newborns after birth assist in fostering healthy development.  It is sad that children who are born prematurely for whatever reasons are deprived of early nurturing intimate relationships with their mothers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment