Friday, September 14, 2012

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)


Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) or “crib death” is a frightening heartbreaking loss to families and is the leading the cause of death among infants 1 month to 1 year old. SIDS has touched my life in a personal way. Twenty-nine years ago, my friend Barbara’s son Brandon died at 2 months old of (SIDS).  Sleeping on his stomach was said to be the main reason for his death.  After feeding him at 2 am, he went back to sleep and she placed him in the crib on his stomach as she had always done with him and her 2 other children.  She woke up at 6 am and checked on him as she did every morning and found her baby cold. Shock and sadness is an understatement of what her family and friends experienced. I’m glad that research has discovered techniques and provided information to the public about how to reduce the risk of SIDS.


Global SIDS Statistics


 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I am sorry to hear of your friend's baby. Just reading it brought tears to my eyes. I can not begin to imagine what it must feel like to lose your newborn child. The entire time my son was an infant, I feared this very same thing happening. Even now (at 20 months old), I always check my son's room right before I go to sleep to ensure he is still alive. Thanks for posting and keeping us all aware of SIDS.

    ReplyDelete