Friday, June 21, 2013

Welcoming Families From Around the World


My family migrated from Vietnam.
 

 
 
 
 Ways to prepare myself to be culturally responsive in order to serve this family effectively in my early childhood setting would consist of:
1.    Becoming knowledgeable concerning the Vietnam’s history and cultural traditions.
2.       Being aware of my social identities and acquainting myself with the ecological systems that are a part of the child’s life.
3.       Respecting and validating cultural values and traditions in the program to include language.
4.       Establishing relationships with families and provide resources to provide lifelong success for both children and their families.
5.       Arranging environment and providing material and activities that reflect Vietnam’s culture and language.
      These preparations will enhance my abilities in providing high quality educational learning experiences for children and families. It is also my hope that these provisions will allow me to assist families in making necessary connections with the dominant culture to enhance their quality of life.
 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even think to include being aware of my social identities. Thanks for the reminder. I will need to consider any biases I might need to overcome too.

    ReplyDelete