Saturday, June 1, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

My nephew was diagnosed as having autism spectrum disorder when he was five years old. This year he entered high school and is studying all day in the classroom with typical developing children. This week he was departing the bus after school at the bus stop when he experienced microassult by a couple of the bus riders. He was deliberately called retarded and mocked by them imitating how he flapped hands. I was surprised that it had happened in the presence of his mother and me as though we were not there. I was angry to discover that it happened previously and his mother was not informed by the bus driver. It was upsetting seeing him emotional and treated like that because of his differences.
The observation helped me realize how often and how easy people are hurt and harmed intentional or unintentional on a daily basis by comments. Individuals, leaderships, and communities at large have a lot of work to do resolve discrimination, prejudice, and stereotyping. Will it really every rate as an issue of importance to seriously address in society?

5 comments:

  1. On a happy note. That is so amazing that your nephew is in all day classes in high school and doing well in school. Unfortunately it is horrible that your nephew had to experience that bus ride. I hope that the school has talked to the bus driver and the students about the horrible bullying and unconscionable behavior from a school employee. If I had been there the students would have been suspended and the bus driver fired. I guess I am not GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that your nephew was put in this situation, it sounds as though he has worked hard to be successful in school. Peers can be harsh and it is a shame that no one has stepped up to put a stop to it. It is hard when we come face to face with these types of aggression, and I wonder how I would have reacted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so sad that individuals make fun of others. However, I'm sorry to hear of the encounter that your nephew had. I don't understand how kids can be mean to others. That why so many kids are turning to suicide because of them being bullied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey,

    How very unsettling it is to hear of your nephew's experience. I truly breaks my heart when children, of all people, are intolerable and unaccepting of others due to what they believe as to be "different". Unfortunately, in my former job as a Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) with children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, bias and prejudice much like what your nephew has experienced was really just far too often. Often times individuals, both children and adults, are too quick to pass judgment and stereotype one's abilities, or what they believe to be as lack of ability, before truly understanding the background and individual them self. How does your nephew handle these situations? Has he developed coping mechanisms and does he confront these students, I am aware of what a challenging task that can be though?

    Thanks for sharing your experiences; I am deeply sorry to hear of your nephew's struggles with his peers on the bus..I suppose we can only hope that one day they will become more aware and conscious of how their actions and words can be so harmful to others.

    Shawna Kushner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey,
    I truly hate when this happens to young children. This is also bullying as well. I hope this will make your nephew a much better person.

    ReplyDelete