Saturday, April 27, 2013

When I think of research


Before taking this course, I knew very little about research. I always thought it was for other people.  Initially, I felt overwhelmed at contemplating doing early childhood research. It was difficult and took a lot of focus.  My knowledge has broadened through learning new terminology and how research is conducted.  I learned the difference between quantitative and qualitative research design and their purposes in research and variables roles in the process.  I sincerely believe that the knowledge gained from learning the research process will be a great asset to me going forward in my professional career in my Head Start program. When I read or hear these terms at work I will have a better understanding of their meaning.
A challenge that I encountered for several weeks was being too broad when formulating my hypothesis and research question; however, I was able to narrow my thinking and get it together.
I would like to thank you all for sharing your ideas and knowledge throughout this Building Research Competencies course.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Audrey for you support and participation. I was on the fence as well when the course first began. Now, I have insight and a better understanding of the research process. As I continue my studies, professional development, and goals, I now know how to approach ECE from a researching perspective. I'm off the fence and more confident about using mixed methods during my research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey, I can't thank you enough for you encouraging words at the beginning of the course. It was rough! I think as you said I am better prepared to use research information and now apply it to what I teach. I also feel more comfortable reading a research based article without feeling like I have to read the entire article in order to understand it. I also wanted you to know that I might be offered a Pre Kindergarten position at my school so I'm really looking forward to that. The course work we have done so far will really help me make a transition to the early childhood field. It was good to work with you again. Take care. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey,
    Your right, this course has certainly proven to be beneficial in not only our future with continuing our education, but also in our professional careers. As I embark on my journey to discover which avenue I would like to pursue my life long career, I will keep in mind a lot of what I have learned and gained from this course especially. Research was something that just never seemed, well, interesting to me prior to this course. The thought just seemed daunting, but it all honestly, I truly love it now. Having a stronger understanding of the foundations and principles to research has helped give me a stronger appreciation for it! Thank you for your contributions to our course discussions and blogs! I enjoyed learning with and from you and hope to cross paths again!

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Audrey,
    One of my challenges is to stay focused on a task and not add a thousand details that come to mind. I totally relate to the difficulties of narrowing down a project.
    Thank you for genuinely sharing your thoughts!
    See you in the next class.

    ReplyDelete